My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Friday, May 13, 2011

Hollywood in Abita Springs

Many movies and TV shows are filmed in and around the New Orleans area, including Treme, Steven Segal; Lawman, Red, The Skeleton Key and (of course,) Interview with the Vampire. The ineptitude of the New Orleans Police Dept. is often shown on Bait Car (the police often lose the bait car & the thieves get away.)
Closer to home, the St. Tammany Police Dept. have been on the TV show, Speeders (fortunately I have not been on the show, since I don't speed.) Scenes from Green Lantern were filmed not far from where I vend at the outdoor art market in Madisonville, LA.

However, the very-small-town quaintness of Abita Springs (pop. 2800, where Charles and I live,) is also often the site of Hollywood shoots. Driving into work a couple of weeks ago I passed by filming at a local gas station (although I've been unable--yet--to determine what's being shot.) Back in March, scenes were filmed for the impending film, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. Last summer Zac Efron was in town, filming scenes for The Lucky One, based on the book by Nicholas Sparks (and also impending.) The year before that, William Hurt was here, filming The Yellow Handkerchief. This movie is now available on DVD & is supposed to be quite good. Although I haven't had time to watch it yet, I did preview the beginning of the movie. In the background I saw my workplace and Mama D's Pizza (which makes the best garlic bread with cheese you'll ever taste!)

"LA" isn't always Los Angeles. Sometimes it's Louisiana. ;)



News article about "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" in Abita Springs
News article about "The Lucky One" in Abita Springs

I'm going to take a week's break from blogging. Stay tuned--I'll be back soon!

7 comments:

Travis Cody said...

I always think it's cool when I recognize places I've actually been in the shows I see on TV and at the movies.

G said...

That's cool...I'm much the same way when I recognize various places in Connecticut that pop in t.v. shows.

Especially the old show "Providence" since the bulk of it was based in Connecticut to begin with.

pilgrimchick said...

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is actually a movie they're making? Wow.

Erik Donald France said...

Cool beans and popcorn~~

I really like Treme a lot ~~

Michelle Basic Hendry said...

I used to live near "Hollywood North". Back in the day many stars could be found at that studio including the stars of the first "Three Men and a Baby".

Cloudia said...

I feel ya! fun to see home on da screen I agree :)



Aloha from Waikiki

Comfort Spiral

><}}(°>


><}}(°>

<°)}}><

Lana Gramlich said...

Travis, G & Cloudia; It is, y'know? The brain clearly likes what it recognizes.

pilgrimchick; Yes. There's no accounting for taste, I guess. *LOL*

Erik; I have to admit that I haven't seen Treme, but I hear it's good.

Michelle; Cool. When I lived in Toronto all of the filming there made driving a living hell. It's not as obnoxious in our small town, somehow.

Related Posts with Thumbnails