My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Monday, May 9, 2011

Northlake with an Eagle Eye, Pt. II

More photos from our recent walk at Northlake Nature Center.

One of the many, MANY turtles in the area.

Out in the back 40 we encountered 4 white-tailed deer. They were moving too quickly for me to get any really decent shots of them, but the experience was really cool!

Charles spotted this snakeskin on the side of this log. We took it home with us, where I measured it. It's about 4 1/2" long.

Sulphur-winged grasshopper.

I saw this male downy woodpecker in the same area where I saw one a few weeks ago. As such, I'm assuming it's the same one and that it's probably nesting somewhere nearby.

A young American alligator, probably about a year and a half old.

A red iris. I've never seen them this color before.

Despite Charles' protestations that he's actually a decrepit, old man with failing eyesight and hearing, without him I would have missed most of what I've shared in these last 2 posts (except for the turtles, of course. They're too prolific at Northlake to miss.) As with everything else, life's just better when Charles is around, "decrepit" or not!

6 comments:

YogaforCynics said...

Amazing photos, Lana--I particularly like the semi-submerged reptiles (amphibians?)...

Todays Treasure said...

Have you made it down the new walkway to the canoe launch yet? The guys are still not quite finished ... a fence to go, but it's looking great.

troutbirder said...

Neat post and some good wisdom. Fun places and events are always better when we share them with that special person in our lives. :)

Michelle Basic Hendry said...

Wonderful captures! Ah - I love spring!

Chrissy said...

Some fabulous photos Lana, I went back a bit because I haven't been over for while ~ love the anole shot. Your downy woodpecker looks a lot like our great spotted. Our dragonflies have only just started to emerge :)

Lana Gramlich said...

YogaforCynics; Thanks!

Todays Treasure; I have been down a new walkway (or one restored after Katrina, at least,) but I've never seen a canoe launch...Thanks for the info. I'll have to look for it.

troutbirder; Agreed. :)

Michelle H.; Testify, sister! :)

Chrissy; Thanks, hon. I enjoy comparing our birds to others around the world--the similarities in some cases are very interesting! Sorry I hadn't been to your blog lately (or anyone's, actually.) I was out of town on a trip.

Related Posts with Thumbnails