My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Monday, June 20, 2011

Road Trip, Day 4 (Pt. 3); Bosque del Apache NWR

More shots from Bosque del Apache NWR...

Female wild turkeys.

Despite my hopes, we didn't see any mountain lions.

A male, hybrid pheasant of some kind (I forgot what they told me at the visitor's center.) At first I though it was ring-necked (which I used to raise years ago,) but it didn't have the ring and the head was blue instead of green.

Purple prickly pear.

Black-chinned hummingbirds near the visitor's center.

Female black-headed grosbeak.

Red cactus flower. If you can ID the type of cactus, I'd appreciate the input!

Mallards, white-faced ibises and cliff swallows.

Yet more from Bosque del Apache NWR in my next post.

11 comments:

Cloudia said...

that grosbeak looks FIERCE!



Aloha from Honolulu :)

Comfort Spiral

><}}(°>


><}}(°>

<°)}}><

Merisi said...

Thank you for this beautiful virtual voyage through a part of the States I love!

NatureFootstep said...

seems liek a great place to visit. :)

Phil said...

Love that Grosbeak Lana, you captured the bird's expression so well. I think the advice not to approach a lion is a bit superfluous - here kitty, kitty?

Charles Gramlich said...

I so well remember those turkeys. Wonder why they have stayed with me so well? Could it be their relationship to food?
:)

Erik Donald France said...

Wonnderful all. The sign is groovy -- I'll remember not to run from the mountain lion . . . Even the name Bosque del Apache resonates with mystery and coolness.

Lana Gramlich said...

Cloudia; *LOL* True...

Merisi; Anytime! Thanks for indulging me! *L* ;)

NatureFootstep; It certainly is!

Phil; Thanks! Yes, the sign about the lion was too much, but you know SOMEone would probably choose the fool's route at some point. <:\

Charles; Yes. They looked delicious! ;)

Erik; Thanks. Yes, I liked the name of the refuge, too. All in all, it was a great place, even if we didn't see any mountain lions!

nina kuriloff said...

Thanks for the eye candy, Lana!

Lana Gramlich said...

Anytime, Nina! :)

eileeninmd said...

Great shots, Lana! I love the hummers and the grosbeak. The last flight shot is wonderful. It does look like a great place for birding.

Lana Gramlich said...

Thanks, Eileen. It's a wonderful place for birding!

Related Posts with Thumbnails