My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Road Trip, Day 7 (Pt. 2); Page, AZ

Secret Canyon, on the Navajo Reservation near Page, was intriguing and beautiful. Slot canyons like this form mostly via water erosion. Antelope Canyon may be the most well-known and traveled slot canyon in Arizona, but I didn't want to be in an overcrowded rush.

Early on, Charles pointed out this little caterpillar. They occasionally get blown into the canyon from the top. Unfortunately it's a death sentence for them.

Our guide, Robert, pointed out this abandoned owl's nest.

A few, small, scrubby bushes had taken a foothold in the canyon.

"The tongue" formation.

After an initial walkthrough, we were left alone, to wander the canyon at leisure for a little over an hour. It was a great opportunity.






Charles was very patient with me, carrying my camera bag and waiting as I snapped shots in a fury. He's the best.

Walking back to the truck afterwards, Robert pointed out the local version of Utah's Rainbow Bridge (albeit on a very tiny scale.)

Next stop; Horseshoe Bend

11 comments:

Angie said...

Gorgeous. :) It looks like an alien landscape.

Angie

Charles Gramlich said...

I did use a slot canyon in "Under the Ember Star" so I got some out of it for sure

NancyU said...

The beauty of the canyon is outstanding. Great photography! I love the different shades of red.

Lana Gramlich said...

Angie; Thanks. It was really cool!

Charles; I'm glad. Thanks for being so patient while we were there! :)

NancyU; Thank you. It was a lovely thing to experience! :)

Cloudia said...

I'm just GaGa from these!


Aloha from Waikiki;

My posts seem to be updating again!!!! Hooray!

Comfort Spiral

><}}(°>


> < } } ( ° >

< ° ) } } > <

eileeninmd said...

Lana, love the colors on these photos, the canyons are just beautiful. Great photos.

Lana Gramlich said...

Cloudia and Eileen; Thank you kindly!

Michelle Basic Hendry said...

All I can say is... WOW!

Lana Gramlich said...

Michelle; That's about what we said, too. :)

Travis Cody said...

Gorgeous, but slot canyons sure can be dangerous during the monsoons.

Lana Gramlich said...

Travis; Definitely. Our guide told us some horrific stories, but we were okay!

Related Posts with Thumbnails