My webpage (inc. awards, upcoming events, etc.)

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Road Trip, Day 7 (Pt. 3); Horseshoe Bend & On the Road

We were both pretty hungry when we got back from our tour of Secret Canyon (on May 14th,) so we stopped for some lunch. During the tour, our guide had pointed out the sign for Horseshoe Bend, which was conveniently on our way out of town. I'd looked into it when planning our trip, but it seemed much more out of the way than it actually was. Since we had extra time, I suggested we make the stop, and Charles agreed.
After a short walk uphill from the parking lot, we came upon a sign stating that we were about to undertake a 3/4 mile hike down to the viewing area, and that no shade or water would be available. We'd gotten into the habit of bringing water everywhere we went as a sheer necessity, and after getting pretty badly sunburned at Bosque del Apache NWR some days prior, I'd been more diligent about sunscreen and my hat.

Here are some of the tallest plants in the area. They weren't kidding about the lack of shade! Fortunately it was a partly cloudy day, at least.

Horseshoe Bend was definitely worth the stop. Most photos of this site are unmarred by the desert rocks seen here in the foreground. Considering the 1000' drop, however, I wasn't taking any risks, and stayed safely back from the edge. This image is actually a composite of 3 shots I stitched together. Without a wide-angle lens, the bend was just too massive to fit in one shot.
"Daily Nature Photo" on The Nature Conservancy's website, Jun. 28, 2011.
"Nature Photo of the Week" on The Nature Conservancy's blog and facebook page, Jul. 1-7, 2011.
3rd Place (photography,) Slidell Art League's "Cirque du Sol Art" show and Purchase Award, Slidell Memorial Hospital, Jul. 15, 2011.
Winner, Momentum magazine's "freshwater" photo contest, Jul. 28, 2011.
Homepage of the Win! blog, Aug. 2, 2011.

Here's Charles at Horseshoe Bend. As cool as it was to make the hike, the 3/4 mile hike back UPhill in dusty/sandy soil was a whole lot of not fun. I stopped often to rest.

During one of my stops, I got this shot of a long-nosed leopard lizard and eventually we made it back to the car. Our next stop was Cameron, AZ. Wanting to avoid the kind of lodging problem we had in Page, I called to book a room in advance.

On the road to Cameron; some wide open vistas and some of the driest, roughest badlands we ever saw.



It felt like we could see at least a hundred miles from this overlook.

Next stop; the Cameron Trading Post.

11 comments:

Lynda Lehmann said...

Spectacular shots, Lana! It looks as if you are having a wonderful road trip!

I'm glad you're being careful about the sun and scaling the heights, so you can go on more road trips in the future!

I haven't been blogging much in the past months; hence my absence from your posts.

I'm glad to see you're having a colorful and scenic journey. Take care, Lana.

Charles Gramlich said...

I well remember the heat. Glad you got that shot thought.

NancyU said...

From the photos it looks like a must see for anyone passing through the area.

Good advice on the sunscreen and taking plenty of water.

Lana Gramlich said...

Lynda Lehmann; Thanks. Yes, it was a great time. I'm glad we went in early May--it was already hot enough THEN!
I haven't been blogging either, to be honest. All of these posts are prescheduled. <:\

Charles; Yes! (To both.)

NancyU; Definitely--but don't forget the sunscreen, hat and water!

Erik Donald France said...

Absolutely stunning. I really like the contextualized shots, with some foreground. It keeps it real -- and quite amazing.

Cloudia said...

wow such big country!



Aloha from Waikiki;


Comfort Spiral

><}}(°>

Lana Gramlich said...

Erik; Thank you. We felt the same way, standing there. Plus hot and out of shape. *L*

Cloudia; It sure is!

Larry said...

Wow-I've never seen anything quite like that!

Lana Gramlich said...

Larry; Neither had I. I highly recommend it!

timethief said...

Stunning shots!The second one was astonishing. Keep slathering obn that sunscreen and lay low in the hottest houes of the day. What a great road trip. Sigh ... wish I was there.

Lana Gramlich said...

TT; Thanks! We took the trip back in May--I'd never post online that we're away for security reasons. I also wouldn't dream of the hike to and from Horseshoe Bend in July--May was hot enough! My bad for not including the dates in every, single post. <:\

Related Posts with Thumbnails